Don't let the name fool you! These muffins combine the goodness of walnuts, raisins, carrots, and spices to result in a muffin that can be tailored to your tastes.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- carrots, raisins, and/or walnuts (optional)
- fat-free milk (1/2 cup optional, only if adding carrots, raisins or walnuts)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Line muffin tin with paper baking cups or grease bottom of tin with cooking spray.
- Cream margarine and sugar with an electric mixer, or by hand.
- Add egg, milk, and applesauce, mixing well.
- Blend in cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and flour.
- Add carrots, raisins, and/or walnuts if desired. If any of these items are added, also add milk and mix.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Tip: Muffins turn out better when mixed by hand.
Learn more about:
University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension Service - Sawyer County and the Lac Courte Oreilles Tribe