Bean and Rice Burritos
These baked burritos are a great way to use leftover cooked rice. Try them with brown rice for a whole grain boost.
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 2 cups kidney beans (one 15 ounce can, drained, low-sodium)
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inch)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheese (shredded)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat the oven to 300 °F.
- Peel the onion, and chop it into small pieces.
- Drain the liquid from the cooked (or canned) kidney beans.
- Mix the rice, chopped onion, and beans in a bowl.
- Put each tortilla on a flat surface.
- Put 1/2 cup of the rice and bean mix in the middle of each tortilla.
- Fold the sides of the tortilla to hold the rice and beans.
- Put each filled tortilla (burrito) in the baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- While the burritos are baking, grate 1/2 cup cheese.
- Pour the salsa over the baked burritos. Add cheese.
- Serve the burritos warm.
Learn more about:
Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network