Bean and Rice Burritos
These baked burritos are a great way to use leftover cooked rice. Try them with brown rice for a whole grain boost.
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 2 cups kidney beans (cooked, or one 15 ounce can, drained)
- 8 flour tortillas (10 inch)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup cheese (shredded)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 °F.
2. Peel the onion, and chop it into small pieces.
3. Drain the liquid from the cooked (or canned) kidney beans.
4. Mix the rice, chopped onion, and beans in a bowl.
5. Put each tortilla on a flat surface.
6. Put 1/2 cup of the rice and bean mix in the middle of each tortilla.
7. Fold the sides of the tortilla to hold the rice and beans.
8. Put each filled tortilla (burrito) in the baking pan.
9. Bake for 15 minutes.
10. While the burritos are baking, grate 1/2 cup cheese.
11. Pour the salsa over the baked burritos. Add cheese.
12. Serve the burritos warm.
Learn more about:
Pennsylvania Nutrition Education Network