Beef and Bean Chile Verde
This recipe blends flavors and packs a nutritional punch as a source of iron, vitamin C, and fiber. Bell pepper, onion, and tomatoes bring color to the dish.
- 2/3 pound ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 bell pepper, large (chopped)
- 1 onion, large (chopped)
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 can diced tomatoes, low-sodium (14.5 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups green salsa (or enchilada sauce, 1-16 ounce jar)
- 1 can pinto or kidney beans, low-sodium (rinsed and drained, 15 ounces)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place meat, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion in large sauce pan. Heat on medium 8-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the meat is browned; drain fat.
- Add garlic, chili powder and cumin; cook until fragrant (15 seconds).
- Stir in salsa and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer; cover and cook 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans and cook until heated.
Simple Healthy Recipes
Oklahoma Nutrition Information and Education