Beef Pozole Soup
This savory soup is full of tomatoes, beef, hominy, and cilantro, and will quickly become a favorite in your home.
- 32 ounces lean beef (2 pounds, cubed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 ounces, low sodium)
- 2 ounces tomato paste, low-sodium
- 2 cans hominy (2-14.5 oz cans or 1-1 lb. 13 ounce can)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large pot, heat oil. Brown beef cubes.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat.
- Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
- Add hominy and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Delicious Heart-Healthy Latino Recipes/ Platillos Latinos Sabrosos y Saludables
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute