Berry Bread Pudding
This no-cook variation of bread pudding, uses bread, berries, yogurt, and time to create a pudding style dish.
- 1 1/2 cups berries (frozen blueberries, sliced strawberries, or raspberries, thawed)
- 5 slices whole wheat bread (crusts removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- vanilla yogurt, low-fat (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine the thawed berries and sugar (if you choose to use the sugar).
- Layer a spoonful of berries on the bottom of a small 2 cup deep dish. Cover the berries and the bottom of the dish with a layer of bread. Continue layering berries and bread until the dish is full, finishing with a layer of bread.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place a plate or bowl over the top of the berry dish that fits just inside of it. Place a heavy object on top to press down on the fruit and bread layers.
- Refrigerate overnight. Check the dish to be sure juice does not run over the top. You may need to replace the heavy object with a lighter one to prevent spills.
- Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
In the summer, fresh berries can be used.
Learn more about:
University of Connecticut Family Nutrition Program
Senior Nutrition Awareness Project (SNAP) Newsletters