Berry Bread Pudding
This no-cook variation of bread pudding, uses bread, berries, yogurt, and time to create a pudding style dish.
- 1 1/2 cups berries (frozen blueberries, sliced strawberries, or raspberries, thawed)
- 5 slices whole wheat bread (crusts removed)
- 1/2 sugar (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- vanilla yogurt, low-fat (optional)
1. Combine the thawed berries and sugar (if you choose to use the sugar).
2. Layer a spoonful of berries on the bottom of a small 2 cup deep dish. Cover the berries and the bottom of the dish with a layer of bread. Continue layering berries and bread until the dish is full, finishing with a layer of bread.
3. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place a plate or bowl over the top of the berry dish that fits just inside of it. Place a heavy object on top to press down on the fruit and bread layers.
4. Refrigerate overnight. Check the dish to be sure juice does not run over the top. You may need to replace the heavy object with a lighter one to prevent spills.
5. Serve with a dollop of vanilla yogurt or a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
University of Connecticut, Family Nutrition Program, Senior Nutrition Awareness Project (SNAP) Newsletters