Black Bean and Couscous Salad
This simple recipe is perfect for dinner tonight and a packed lunch tomorrow. It's full of colorful veggies and is filling and tasty.
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, low-sodium (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup couscous (uncooked)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- fresh lime juice (1 Tablespoon, optional)
- 1 can black beans, low-sodium (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 onion, medium (minced)
- 1/2 red or green pepper (minced)
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed (or 1/2 cup canned whole kernel corn)
- fresh cilantro (2 Tablespoons chopped, optional)
1. Before starting to prepare the recipe:
a. Wash red or green pepper and cilantro (if using).
b. Wash and juice the lime into a small bowl (if using).
c. Drain and rinse the black beans and corn (if using canned corn).
d. Collect, mince, and measure all ingredients.
2. Bring broth to a boil in a small pot, and stir in couscous.
3. Cover the pot, and remove it from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, cumin, and lime juice (if using).
5. Add beans, onion, red or green pepper, and corn to the vinegar and oil mixture, and toss.
6. Fluff the couscous well with a fork, breaking up any chunks. Add to beans and vegetables, and mix well.
7. Taste. Add salt and black pepper if desired.
8. Add cilantro (if using) and serve.
9. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3 to 5 days.
Colorado State University. Eating Smart Being Active Recipes.