Pair these black beans with some brown rice and a green salad for a complete and delicious meal.
- 2 cans (15.5 oz) black beans (drained) (low-sodium)
- 1/2 onion (medium)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano (fresh or dried)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Carefully drain the juice from one can of black beans. Pour the drained black beans into a bowl. Use a potato masher to mash the beans until they are no longer whole. Set the mashed beans aside.
- Chop the onion in to 1/4-inch pieces. Set it aside. Peel the garlic cloves and mince them finely. Set the garlic aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the mashed black beans and the second can of black beans, including the juice. When the beans begin to boil, reduce the heat to low, stir in the salt and oregano and simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered.
Kids a Cookin’
Kansas Family Nutrition Program and the USDA Food Stamp Nutrition Education Program
Recipe by Lynn Walters and Jane Stacey