The Bosnian Pot
This hearty beef and vegetable stew is a filling meal on a cold evening. Serve with whole wheat pita bread.
- 2 1/4 pounds beef, cubed
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 1/2 carrots (can use 2-3)
- 3 1/2 tomatoes, large
- 3 1/2 potatoes, large
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced (or more)
- 2 green peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 tablespoon vinegar
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Dice all the vegetables.
2. Combine with the meat and seasonings in a large pot.
3. Add enough water to completely cover the mixture and add the oil and vinegar.
4. Cook, covered, for two to three hours on low heat until everything is well done.
Suggest serving with pita bread.
Bosnian cuisine contains lots of fresh produce. Tomatoes, peppers, carrots, and beans are common in everyday menus.
To reduce cost, frozen and/or canned vegetables can be substituted for fresh vegetables.
Note: Modification to NDSU recipe (PDF | 2.23 MB) includes making salt and pepper optional.
Learn more about:
North Dakota State University Extension Service.
Recipe on p. 4.