Bran Muffins II
Try these bran and whole wheat muffins for a quick and healthy start to your day.
- 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 3/4 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups bran flake cereal with raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray or grease the bottoms of a muffin tin.
2. Put flour in a large bowl. Add salt, baking soda, and sugar. Mix well.
3. Stir in the bran flake cereal. Mix well.
4. Make a well in the center of mixture and set aside.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk, and oil together.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the well of the cereal mixture and stir until all ingredients are moist. Do not over mix.
7. Fill the tins 2/3 full.
8. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. If not eaten right away, wrap the baked muffins in foil or a plastic bag and store in the freezer. Thaw for 15 seconds in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Substitute for buttermilk: add 1 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup milk.
Colorado State University and University of California at Davis. Eating Smart Being Active Recipes.