The vegetarian dish combines leafy greens and high fiber brown rice to make a wholesome side dish or a satisfying main dish.
- 1 vegetable oil spray (non-stick)
- 1 3/16 packages spinach (10 ounce, frozen, thawed)
- 1 cup brown rice (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup egg-white substitute (liquid)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, fat-free (shredded)
- 1 cup milk (fat-free)
- 1/2 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon marjoram (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme (dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary (dried)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
3. Place thawed spinach in a colander and press to remove excess water.
4. Place the spinach in a large mixing bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix until combined.
5. Transfer the mixture to the baking dish and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
6. Cut the casserole into eight squares and serve. This casserole can be prepared 1 day in advance and refrigerated.
Delicious Heart-Healthy Latino Recipes/ Platillos Latinos Sabrosos y Saludables
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute