Enjoy this side dish for a Thanksgiving treat or anytime yams are in season.
- 1 1/2 cups yams
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 teaspoon flour (sifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon orange peel
- 1/3 tablespoon margarine, tub (soft, unsalted)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cut yams in half and boil until tender, but firm (about 20 minutes). When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ¼-inch thickness.
3. Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
4. Place half of sliced yams in medium-sized casserole dish. Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
5. Dot with half the amount of margarine.
6. Add second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the order above. Add orange juice.
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Institutes of Health
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style.