Carrots with Tomatoes and Macaroni
Each serving of this delicious and quick pasta dish provides 1 1/2 cups of veggies.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (small, chopped)
- 4 plum tomatoes (chopped, from a can)
- 1/2 cup tomato juice (from a can)
- 6 carrots (large, peeled and sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
1. In a saucepan, cook the onion in the oil until soft but not brown. Add the tomatoes, carrots, salt, pepper and sugar.
2. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Remove the cover and cook over low heat, stirring often, for another 5 minutes, or until the carrots are tender and the tomatoes are cooked down to a sauce.
3. Stir in the parsley. Mix the butter with the cooked elbows. Stir in the carrot mixture and serve.
University of Rhode Island, Cooperative Extension, The Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program