Catfish Stew and Rice
Chili and spice seasoning give this seafood stew a punch of flavor. Serve it with brown rice for added whole grains.
- 2 potatoes (medium)
- 1 can tomatoes, cut up (14.5 oz)
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup clam juice (8-oz bottle, or water)
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 head of cabbage (coarsely chopped)
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- green onion (sliced, as needed)
- 1 1/2 Chili and Spice Seasoning servings (1 1/2 Tablespoons)
- 2 cups rice, white (or brown, cooked)
1. Peel potatoes and cut into quarters.
2. In large pot, combine potatoes, tomatoes and their juice, onion, clam juice, water, and garlic. Bring to boil and reduce heat. Cook covered over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
3. Add cabbage and return to boil. Reduce heat. Cook covered over medium-low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Meanwhile, cut fillets into 2-inch lengths. Coat with Chili and Spice Seasoning.
5. Add fish to vegetables. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork.
6. Serve in soup plates. Garnish with sliced green onion, if desired. Serve with scoop of hot cooked rice.
*Reduce the sodium by using low- or no-added-sodium canned tomatoes.
A Healthier You: Based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans
US Department of Health and Human Services
Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion