Just four ingredients is all you need to make delicious flatbread at home! Serve with dip at your next gathering or as a side to dinner.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup water (warm)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 dash salt
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add water, oil, and salt. Mix with fork and then with hands. Keep mixing until you can make a ball.
- Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Let rest for 30 minutes in the bowl, covered with a damp cloth.
- Roll the ball into a 12-inch log and cut into 6 chunks.
- Roll each chunk into a very thin pancake, about 7 inches in diameter. Don't worry about making the dough into a perfect circle-just try to get it as thin as you can.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (lightly greased) on medium-high heat. Place one chapati in the skillet and cook for 30 seconds.
- Use a spatula to lift bread. When chapati gets brown spots and bubbles, flip it over and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Wrap the cooked chapati in a cloth napkin while cooking the rest.
- Eat them right away with a little butter or margarine, or use as scoops for eating other dishes.
Wellness Ways Resource Book: Taste of the World
University of Illinois Extension Service