Cheese and Corn Chowder
This is a hearty vegetarian soup for a filling and healthy meal on a chilly night. If you have leftovers that have been properly handled, you can add ham, chicken, or other meat for more protein.
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can (14.75 ounce) cream-style corn, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 cups milk, non-fat
- 1/2 cup cheddar or American cheese (shredded)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in pan. Add 1 cup water. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add corn and pepper. Cook 5 more minutes or until vegetables are cooked.
- Add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese melts and chowder is heated through. Do not boil.
- Serve hot.
Montana State University Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program