Cherry Puff Pancake
Smells of vanilla, cinnamon, and fruit will fill your home after baking these cherry puff pancakes. If you don’t like cherries, try using peaches, pears, or blueberries.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup fat free (skim) milk (or 1% milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 2 cups halved, pitted sweet cherries, fresh or frozen, thawed and drained
- ¼ cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- In a medium bowl or blender, beat the eggs, milk, and vanilla together until well blended.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and cinnamon together. Add to the liquid ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
- Put margarine or butter in a 10- or 11-inch oven proof skillet or a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish. Place the skillet or dish in the hot oven until the margarine or butter is melted and bubbly. Remove from the oven. Quickly spread the cherries across the bottom of the hot skillet or dish.
- Pour the batter over the cherries and sprinkle with almond slices, if using.
- Return to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the edges are browned and the puffs in the middle are golden. Cool slightly before cutting into 4 pieces. The center puffs will flatten during cooling.
- Try using other fruit, such as peaches, pears, or blueberries.
- Serve with plain or vanilla yogurt.
Learn more about
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service