Classic Macaroni and Cheese
The ultimate comfort food! This healthier version of a family favorite uses non-fat evaporated milk and low-fat cheese to create its creamy sauce.
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk, non-fat
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups cheese, finely shredded sharp cheddar, lowfat
- cooking oil spray
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook macaroni according to directions. (Do not add salt to the cooking water.) Drain and set aside.
- Spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray saucepan with nonstick cooking oil spray.
- Add onions to saucepan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine macaroni, onions, and the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer mixture into casserole dish.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Learn more about onions.
Heart Healthy Home Cooking: African American Style
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute