Use fresh or frozen spinach and red peppers, or try adding your own colorful vegetables in this dish.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, fat-free
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas (6" across)
- 1 cup sweet red pepper (chopped)
- 1 cup low-fat cheese (shredded)
- 2 cups spinach leaves (fresh, or 9 oz. frozen, thawed and squeezed dry)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a small bowl, mix the cream cheese and garlic powder.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of the cheese mixture on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons bell pepper and 2 tablespoons cheese on one half of each tortilla.
- Add spinach: 1/4 cup if using fresh leaves OR 2 tablespoons if using frozen. Fold tortillas in half.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Put 2 folded tortillas in skillet and heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove quesadillas from skillet, place on platter and cover with foil to keep warm while cooking the remainder.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm.
Learn more about:
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach