Make this corn bread recipe the classic way or jazz it up by adding chili powder, whole corn, or even blueberries to give a yummy twist to a basic recipe.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk, non-fat
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oven to 425 °F. Grease 8x9 inch pan.
- Measure cornmeal, flour, sugar, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine ingredients.
- Crack egg into a small bowl and beat with a fork to combine white and yolk.
- Add egg, oil, and milk to flour mixture. Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until firm to touch or wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Buttermilk Corn Bread: Use only 2 teaspoons baking powder and add 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Substitute 1 cup buttermilk for skim milk.
- Whole Wheat Corn Bread: Use 1/2 cup all purpose flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat flour.
- Corny Corn Bread: Add 1 cup kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned, well drained) with the milk.
- Cheesy Corn Bread: Add 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese with the milk.
- Chili Cheese Corn Bread: Add 1/2 teaspoon chili powder to the flour mixture. Drain one 4-ounce can chopped green chilies. Add chilies and 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese with the milk.
- Blueberry Corn Bread: Fold 1 cup blueberries (fresh, frozen, or canned, well drained) into the batter.
- Corn Bread Muffins: Pour batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 minutes at 400 °F.
Cooking Up Fun - Muffins & More
Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Division of Nutritional Sciences