Crock Pot Vegetable Lentil Stew
This lentil stew is full of wholesome vegetables, protein, and fiber. Although it can cook for several hours in the crockpot, the "hands on" preparation time is low.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt (optional)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 2 cups chard, chopped
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups vegetable broth (or stock)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (16 ounces)
1. Sauté onion and garlic with olive oil.
2. Combine sauté mix with the rest of the ingredients in a crock pot.
3. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
4. Spoon stew into bowls to serve and top with a dollop of fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt (optional).
Del Norte (California) Department of Health and Human Services
and University of Kentucky Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP)