Curried Brown Rice with Pumpkin Seeds, Apricots and Spinach
Brown rice gets a flavor burst when curry powder, onions, and dried apricots are added. Toasted pumpkin seeds add a nice crunch.
- 1 cup brown rice (short grain, uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or cooking oil)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped (medium, or other squash)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or low sodium chicken broth)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup dried apricots (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted (pepitas)
1. Rinse the rice well.
2. Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy saucepan.
3. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the curry powder.
4. Add the rice and broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
6. Remove from heat and stir in the apricots and spinach.
7. Replace cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
8. Add the pumpkin seeds, salt, pepper (and more curry if desired) and fluff with a fork.
9. Serve immediately.