Curried Brown Rice with Pumpkin Seeds, Apricots and Spinach
Brown rice gets a flavor burst when curry powder, onions, and dried apricots are added. Toasted pumpkin seeds add a nice crunch.
- 1 cup brown rice (short grain, uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or cooking oil)
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped (medium)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth (or low sodium chicken broth)
- salt & pepper (optional, to taste)
- 1 cup dried apricots (chopped)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted (pepitas)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the rice well.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large heavy saucepan.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then stir in the curry powder.
- Add the rice and broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the apricots and spinach.
- Replace cover and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin seeds, salt, pepper (and more curry if desired) and fluff with a fork.
- Serve immediately.