Easy Lentil Soup
This wholesome lentil soup is simple yet satisfying. Using vegetable broth makes it a delicious vegetarian option.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 1 large red, yellow, or white onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups lentils (1 pound, rinsed)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 ounce can)
- 8 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth (2 quarts)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Saute onions, carrots, red pepper flakes, and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add rinsed lentils and broth and simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes. Keep checking lentils until they are done.
- Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired.
Bronson Wellness Center