Easy Stuffed Pasta Shells
Spinach, a mixture of low-fat cheeses, and herbs combine for a delicious filling in these stuffed shells.
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed (10 ounces)
- 12 ounces cottage cheese, low-fat
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella, part skim shredded (save 1/2 cup for topping)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar light tomato basil pasta sauce, low-sodium (26 ounces)
- 1 cup water
- 6 ounces pasta shells, uncooked (large)
- Wash hands.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Lightly coat a 13x9x2 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Drain spinach by placing in a sieve or colander over the sink, or in a bowl and pressing with a spool to remove as much liquid as possible, or squeeze out liquid with clean hands. Place spinach in medium bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese, 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese, oregano, and pepper to the spinach. Stir to mix thoroughly.
- Pour half of the spaghetti sauce into prepared baking dish. Add water and stir into the mix.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked pasta shell and arrange in a single layer over top.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese evenly over sauce.
- Cover tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour or until shells are tender. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Spend Smart. Eat Smart.
Iowa State University Extension