Eggs Foo Young
Make these egg patties with chicken or beef and top them off with a homemade sauce for an easy Chinese dinner. Serve with brown rice and a salad for a complete and delicious meal.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bean sprouts, fresh
- 1/2 cup chicken, cooked and diced (or beef)
- 1/3 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 cup mushrooms, stems and pieces (drained)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, low-sodium
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Beat eggs with electric mixer (or by hand) until very thick and light, about 5 minutes.
2. Fold in bean sprouts, chicken or beef, mushrooms, and onion.
3. Heat oil in frying pan over moderate heat.
4. Pour egg mixture by half cupfuls into the pan. Brown on one side; turn and brown the other side. Keep warm while preparing the sauce.
5. Mix sauce ingredients in small saucepan until smooth.
6. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
7. Serve sauce over patties.
Use only clean eggs with no cracks in shells.
University of Maine Cooperative Extension bulletin #4333, Thrifty Recipes: Main Dishes