Fabulous Fig Bars
Fig bars are a great on-the-go snack. The sweet, nutty flavors in these bars are sure to be a hit with all ages.
- 3 cups dried figs (chopped, 16 ounces)
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice (juice from 1/2 orange)
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup margarine (softened, or butter)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine figs, walnuts, sugar, orange juice and hot water in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Mix together margarine or butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add egg and mix until smooth.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Stir into egg mixture. Blend in oats to make soft dough.
- Reserve 1 cup of dough for topping. With floured fingertips, press the remaining dough into a thin layer on the bottom of the baking pan.
- Spread fig mixture evenly over the dough. Crumble reserved dough over top, allowing fig mixture to show.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely in baking pan. Cut into 24 bars (about 2.5 x 2 inches).
- No dried figs? Use 3 cups chopped fresh figs. Omit the hot water and orange juice, but add 1 teaspoon lemon or orange zest (grate the outer colored part of the peel).
- Margarine used for nutrition and cost analysis.
Fabulous Fig Bars from Food Hero, Oregon State University, Cooperative Extension Service.