Fabulous Fruit Muffins
Try these muffins for breakfast or as a snack during the day. Use fresh fruit when in season - frozen or canned fruit works too!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons margarine (melted)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, unsweetened (coarsely chopped, or other fruit, fresh or frozen)
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
- Heat oven to 400 °F. Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Stir well until all ingredients are blended.
- In another bowl, combine buttermilk, margarine, egg, and vanilla. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients (made in step #3).
- Using a large spoon, gently stir ingredients just until moist (do not over-mix). Add fruit and stir gently (do not over-mix).
- Spoon batter evenly into 9 muffin cups.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot or cold. Muffins may be frozen for later use.
Learn more about:
Fix it Fresh! Recipe Series
Kansas State University Research and Extension