Flavorful Fried Rice
Add some protein and grains to your dinner with this yummy rice dish. Use brown rice for extra fiber.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (or margarine)
- 1 cup rice, regular, uncooked
- 3 tablespoons onion (minced)
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped or grated)
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 4 egg whites (beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk, non-fat
- 1/2 cup peas
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, reduced sodium
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a frying pan over medium heat, cook rice, minced onion, and carrots in oil, stirring often until lightly browned.
- Slowly add water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Beat eggs in bowl. Stir in milk, peas, and soy sauce. Pour over hot rice mixture in fry pan.
- Cook on medium heat. As mixture begins to thicken, gently draw a spatula across bottom and sides of pan. This allows egg mixture to cook. Continue until eggs are firm.
University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension Service
Family Living Program