Green Beans with Tomatoes and Basil
Green beans get a flavor boost from fresh or dried parsley and basil, canned tomatoes, and onion.
- 6 cups green beans (about 1 pound, ends snipped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (medium, finely chopped)
- 1 can tomatoes (14.5 ounce can, drained and chopped)
- 1 tablespoon basil (fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- salt and pepper (to taste, optional)
1. Cook beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes; beans will still be crisp. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
2. In a large frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
3. Add tomatoes, basil and parsley. Cook 3 minutes to heat and combine flavors.
4. Stir beans into pan and cook 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper (optional).
University of Maryland Cooperative Extension
Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program