Grilled Vegetable Packets
Veggies are wrapped in foil and cooked on the grill for an easy side dish to your cookout. Don't have a grill? This recipe can also be made in the oven.
- 2 zucchinis, small (sliced)
- 2 yellow squashes, small (sliced)
- 4 red potatoes, small (scrubbed well and sliced)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 bell pepper (red or green, seeded and sliced)
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing, light
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat grill to medium heat or 350 °F.
- Wash vegetables and slice.
- Toss in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss until all vegetables are coated.
- Tear 2 large squares of aluminum foil and place half of the vegetable mixture on each piece. Place an equal piece of foil over the top of vegetable mixture and fold bottom piece with top sheet to form a packet.
- Place on heated grill for 20 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. If you don't have a grill, bake Veggie Packets in the oven at 400 °F for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Before you open the packets, poke holes in the foil with a fork. Be very careful opening the foil as the steam will be very hot and could burn you!
- Empty vegetables onto serving plate or serve from foil packets.
- Try different vegetables: Tomatoes, green beans, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, corn... or your favorites.
- Be Creative! Use herbs or spices in place of dressing: Chili power, Italian seasoning, basil, oregano, curry powder, or your favorite seasoning!
Learn more about:
Connecticut Food Policy Council