Harvest Vegetable Salad
Chili powder and lime juice provide a zesty dressing to this salad, which is full of root vegetables.
- 2 cups romaine lettuce (washed)
- 1 cup cilantro leaves (washed)
- 1 cup parsnips (peeled)
- 1 cup carrots (peeled)
- 1 cup turnips (peeled)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest (grated)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Combine romaine lettuce and cilantro, and divide onto four plates.
- Place parsnips, carrots, and turnips into 1 quart of boiling water. Return water to a simmer, cook vegetables for 2 minutes. Strain into a colander.
- Mix ingredients for the dressing right before use.
- Place hot vegetables on top of greens and top with homemade dressing.
5 A Day: Eat 5 to 9 Fruits and Vegetables
US Department of Health and Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion