Hoppin' John (Sausage, Black-Eyed Peas, and Rice)
Spicy and satisfying, this recipe can be easily doubled for leftovers the next day! Yum!
- 1/2 cup brown rice, instant uncooked (or white rice)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil (or corn oil)
- 3 ounces low-fat smoked turkey sausage ring, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch pieces (lowest fat and sodium available)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (medium, chopped)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, medium (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 can black eyed peas (no salt added, rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and butter/margarine.
- Meanwhile, in a medium non-stick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the sausage for 3 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the bell pepper and jalapeño pepper. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the peas, water, and salt. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is thickened slightly but some liquid remains. Remove from the heat.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes so the flavors bend. Stir in the rice. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Learn more about bell peppers.
Power to End Stroke: 46 Healthy Soul Food Recipes Cookbook