A sweet and creamy beverage that pairs well with spicy food.
- 1 cup white rice, long-grain uncooked
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk, 1%
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup sugar
1. Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about one minute. Let rice and water stand at room temperature for about three hours.
2. Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice. Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.
Horchata is a traditional Mexican beverage made with rice and flavored with lime, cinnamon, or sugar.
North Dakota Food and Culture: A Taste of World Cuisine.
North Dakota State University Extension Service.