Lentils, tomatoes, and ground beef are a winning combination in the lentil chili. This recipe packs 9 grams of fiber per serving. Flavorful and filling.
- 1/2 pound ground beef (15% fat)
- 1 1/2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- 2 cups lentils (cooked, drained)
- 2 cans tomatoes, low-sodium, diced or crushed (29 ounce or 2 cans 14 1/2 ounce)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- cumin, ground (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large saucepan, brown beef over medium-high heat, breaking it into bite sized pieces. Drain fat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for about 1 hour until flavors are blended.
- Serve hot, topped with your favorite chili toppings.
Montana State University Extension Service
Nutrition Education Program