Lentil Vegetable Soup
Enjoy this hearty vegetable and lentil soup, packed with lentils, celery, onion, and tomato sauce, on a cold winter's evening.
- 1 cup lentils (dry)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
1. Sort lentils.
2. Place lentils in deep pot with water. Bring to a boil and add all ingredients except vinegar.
3. Reduce heat and cover.
4. Cook slowly for 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
5. Add vinegar.
6. Remove garlic and bay leaf before serving.
Staff from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln