Lentil Vegetable Soup
Enjoy this hearty vegetable and lentil soup -- packed with lentils, celery, onion, and tomato sauce -- on a cold winter's evening.
- 1 cup lentils (dry)
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon onion (finely chopped)
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce, low-sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or 1 garlic clove)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 celery stalk (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Sort lentils.
- Place lentils in deep pot with water. Bring to a boil and add all ingredients except vinegar.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Cook slowly for 1 hour, adding more water if necessary.
- Add vinegar.
- Remove garlic and bay leaf before serving.
University of Nebraska at Lincoln
Nebraska Nutrition Education Program