Mashed Parsnips and Potatoes
.A twist on a classic comfort food, this combination of parsnips and potatoes is sure to hit the spot. This dish can be made with substitutions. Try yogurt instead of milk - enjoy it your way!
- 2 cups parsnips (medium size)
- 1 pound potatoes
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub parsnips and potatoes under running water and peel.
- Cut into similar size pieces.
- In a medium saucepan, cover the vegetables pieces with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and simmer until vegetables are soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the vegetables and mash. Stir in milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and margarine. Serve hot.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Mashed Parsnips and Potatoes. from Food Hero, Oregon State University, Cooperative Extension Service.