Mixed vegetables, meatballs, and brown rice make a delicious and hearty soup that will warm you up on a cold winter night.
- 6 cups water
- 1/3 cup brown rice
- 3 bouillon cubes (low-sodium chicken or beef flavored, or 1 tablespoon low-sodium bouillon powder)
- 4 tablespoons oregano (fresh, finely chopped)
- 8 ounces ground beef (90% lean, or turkey or chicken)
- 1 tomato (finely chopped)
- 1/2 onion (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 egg (large)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegetable mix (chopped, fresh, carrots, celery, and broccoli)
1. In a large pot, combine water, rice, bouillon cubes, and oregano. Bring to a boil over high heat. Stir to dissolve bouillon. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix ground meat, tomato, onion, egg, and salt. Form into 12 large meatballs.
3. Add meatballs to broth mixture and simmer 30 minutes.
4. Add vegetables. Cook 10 to 15 minutes or until meatballs are cooked
and rice and vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
California Champions for Change Lunch Recipes
California Department of Public Health
Network for a Healthy California