Mediterranean Roasted Eggplant with Tomato Sauce
A wonderful recipe to enjoy in the summer when eggplant is in season. Top this side dish with freshly ground black pepper if desired.
- 2 eggplant (medium)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (low-sodium, or low-sodium spaghetti sauce)
- 1/2 cup yogurt (low-fat plain)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- vegetable oil spray (as needed)
1. Wash hands thoroughly with warm water and soap.
2. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
3. Wash and remove the stem end, and slice the eggplants into 1/2-inch slices.
4. Spray a baking pan with vegetable oil spray and lay the eggplant in the pan in a single layer.
5. Spoon low-sodium pizza or spaghetti sauce on each slice.
6. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
7. Stir the yogurt and garlic together.
8. Drizzle the sauce in thin lines on each of the eggplant slices before serving. You can do this easily by putting the sauce in a plastic squirt bottle or using a spoon.
9. Serve immediately as an entrée or side dish.