Mexican Pozole Soup
This savory soup is full of tomatoes, beef, hominy, and cilantro, that will quickly become a favorite in your home.
- 32 ounces lean beef (2 pounds, cubed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (large)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (15 ounces, low sodium)
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 1 can hominy (1 lb. 13 ounce can)
1. In a large pot, heat oil. Saute beef.
2. Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
3. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
4. Add hominy and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.
Skinless, boneless chicken breasts may be used instead of beef cubes.
National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (NHLBI), Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes/Platillos latinos sabrosos y saludables