Enjoy the amazing smell coming from your grill as you make this delicious naan. Be sure to savor the delicious flavor and texture while it is still warm!
- 1 packet of yeast, active dry (1/4 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk, 1%
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- garlic (2 teaspoons, minced, optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (1/4 cup)
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand about 10 minutes or until frothy.
2. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt and enough flour to make a soft dough.
3. Knead for six to eight minutes on a lightly floured surface or until smooth.
6. Punch down dough and knead in garlic.
7. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball.
8. Roll into balls and place on a tray. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
9. During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
10. At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill and cook for two to three minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
11. Brush uncooked side with butter and turn over.
12. Brush cooked side with butter and cook until browned, another two to four minutes.
13. Remove from grill and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
Learn more about:
North Dakota Food and Culture: A Taste of World Cuisine.
North Dakota State University Extension Service.