Enjoy the amazing smell coming from your grill as you make this delicious naan. Be sure to savor the delicious flavor and texture while it is still warm!
- 1 packet of yeast, active dry (1/4 ounce)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk, 1%
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- garlic (2 teaspoons, minced, optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (1/4 cup)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and let stand about 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface or until smooth.
- Let it rise 1 hour until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough and knead in garlic.
- Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll into balls and place on a tray.
- Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.
- At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle.
- Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill and cook for two to three minutes or until puffy and lightly browned.
- Brush uncooked side with butter and turn over.
- Brush cooked side with butter and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from grill and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
Learn more about:
North Dakota Food and Culture: A Taste of World Cuisine
North Dakota State University Extension Service