Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
This old fashioned bread pudding can be made in the microwave so you don't have to turn on the oven. Enjoy!
- 5 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 egg (or 1 egg + 2 egg whites)
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Spread one side of bread with margarine or butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In lightly sprayed casserole dish, combine bread, sugar, and raisins. Then follow microwave or oven method below.
- In bowl, blend eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour liquid over bread mixture; lightly blend.
- Cover, microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Turn dish 1/4 turn. Microwave on HIGH for 3-5 minutes longer (pudding is done when edges are firm and center is almost set).
- Let sit covered for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. In bowl, blend eggs, 2 cups (instead of 1 1/4 cups for microwaving) milk, salt, and vanilla. Pour liquid over bread mixture; lightly blend.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour (pudding is done when a table knife inserted in the pudding comes out clean).
- Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
Simply Good Eating Recipe Cards, Vol. 1, 2000
University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension Service