Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
This old fashioned bread pudding can be made in the microwave so you don't have to turn on the oven. Enjoy!
- 5 slices bread, white or wheat
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar, white or brown
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 egg (or 1 egg + 2 egg whites)
- 1 1/2 cups non-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Spread one side of bread with margarine or butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
2. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
3. In lightly sprayed casserole dish, combine bread, sugar, and raisins. Then follow microwave or oven method below.
1. In bowl, blend eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour liquid over bread mixture; lightly blend.
2. Cover, microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Turn dish 1/4 turn. Microwave on HIGH for 3-5 minutes longer (pudding is done when edges are firm and center is almost set).
3. Let sit covered for 10 minutes before serving. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In bowl, blend eggs, 2 cups (instead of 1 1/4 cups for microwaving) milk, salt, and vanilla. Pour liquid over bread mixture; lightly blend.
2. Bake uncovered for 1 hour (pudding is done when a table knife inserted in the pudding comes out clean).
3. Serve warm or cold. Refrigerate leftovers.