If you're looking for delicious ideas for turnips, you've come to the right place! This recipe is full of vegetables and flavor, blended together to create a hearty, satisfying soup.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 3 cloves cloves garlic (chopped or ¾ teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups parsnips (chopped, about 1 pound)
- 1 cup potato (peeled and cubed)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon margarine (unsalted, or butter)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper; cook for1 minute.
- Stir in the parsnips, potato, broth and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes or until the parsnips and potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the margarine or butter and let the soup sit uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender, using the manufacturer's directions for pureeing hot liquids.
- Heat the soup before serving, stirring in water if it seems too thick.
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service