Pasta with Greens, Beans, and Chicken
Loaded with protein and fiber, this delicious dish can be made quickly. Enjoy with a side of your favorite fruit.
- 16 ounces pasta, whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubes (or 3 chicken sausages, chopped)
- 6 cups spinach, chopped (or 1 bunch Swiss chard)
- 1 can cannellini beans, low sodium (15.5 ounces, rinsed and drained, can also use great northern or navy beans)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- 1/2 parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup, optional)
1. Cook the pasta according to directions on box, and drain.
2. On medium heat, add vegetable oil and onion to a large pan.
3. Cook for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
4. Stir in chopped chicken and cook until heated through.
5. Add spinach (or chard), beans, chicken or vegetable stock, and spices.
6. Add in cooked pasta and stir to combine.
7. Cook for 5 minutes, until pasta is heated through.
8. Add salt and pepper, to taste (optional), and garnish with Parmesan cheese before serving (optional).
Eat Smart. Be Fit.
University of Maryland Extension