Pasta with Greens, Beans, and Chicken
Loaded with protein and fiber, this delicious dish can be made quickly. Enjoy with a side of your favorite fruit.
- 16 ounces pasta, whole wheat
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubes (or 3 chicken sausages, chopped)
- 6 cups spinach, chopped (or 1 bunch Swiss chard)
- 1 can cannellini beans, low-sodium (15.5 ounces, rinsed and drained, can also use great northern or navy beans)
- 2 cups chicken broth, low-sodium (or vegetable broth)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
- parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup, optional)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Cook the pasta according to directions on box, and drain.
- On medium heat, add vegetable oil and onion to a large pan.
- Cook for 5 minutes, add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in chopped chicken and cook until heated through.
- Add spinach (or chard), beans, chicken or vegetable stock, and spices.
- Add in cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until pasta is heated through.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste (optional), and garnish with Parmesan cheese before serving (optional).
Eat Smart. Be Fit.
University of Maryland Extension