While avocados tend to get all the guacamole glory, sometimes they’re not available, not ripe, or just too expensive! Check out this tasty, bright, and satisfying recipe that put the humble green pea in the leading role.
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 can green chilies, drained, diced (4 oz)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 clove Fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt (to taste, optional)
1. Mash peas until smooth.
2. Add the lime juice, tomato, onion, green chilies, cilantro, garlic, salt (if using), and black pepper. Mix well.
3. Serve with an assortment of raw vegetables and whole-grain tortilla chips.
Westmoreland County Pennsylvania SNAP-Ed Program