Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
Quinoa (pronounced "KEEN-wah") is a whole grain with origins in South America. It is combined in this recipe with black beans, savory vegetables, and spices for a cold salad that is light and refreshing. This salad is high in protein and can be served as a main or side dish.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (dry)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander (ground, dried cilantro seeds)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 2 scallions (medium, minced)
- 1 can black beans, low-sodium (15.5 ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 cups tomato (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (medium, chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (medium, chopped)
- 2 green chiles (minced, to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Rinse the quinoa in cold water. Boil water in a saucepan, and then add the quinoa.
- Return to boil, and then simmer until the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, mix olive oil, lime juice, cumin, coriander, chopped cilantro, and scallions in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Combine chopped vegetables with the black beans in a large bowl, and set aside.
- Once quinoa has cooled, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Delicious Heart-Healthy Latino Recipes/ Platillos Latinos Sabrosos y Saludables
US Department of Health and Human Services
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute