Red Hot Fusilli
Spice up your weeknight dinner plans with this Red Hot Fusilli. Loaded with juicy tomatoes, this dish is wonderful with or without the optional chicken!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (fresh minced)
- 4 cups ripe tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped or 1 tsp dried basil)
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves (crushed or 1 tsp dried oregano)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ground red pepper (or cayenne, to taste)
- 8 ounces fusilli pasta (uncooked, 4 cups cooked)
- cooked chicken breast (1/2 pound diced into 1/2-inch pieces, optional)
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan. Saute garlic and parsley until golden.
2. Add tomatoes and spices. Cook uncovered over low heat 15 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. If desired, add chicken and continue cooking for 15 minutes until chicken is heated through and sauce is thick.
3. Cook pasta firm in unsalted water.
4. To serve, spoon sauce over pasta and sprinkle with coarsely chopped parsley. Serve hot as a main dish and cold for the next day's lunch.
*Cost estimate and nutritional analysis does not include chicken.
National Institutes of Health,
Stay Young at Heart Recipe Book