Red Potato and Cabbage (Colcannon)
Hearty, delicious, and sure to please any crowd. This recipe is filling enough to stand alone or could make a great side dish.
- 3 1/2 cups red potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- 1 cup 1% or nonfat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Scrub potatoes but do not peel. Cut into quarters. Cook in boiling water or steam until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes cook, heat butter or margarine in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and cook until it becomes clear, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage begins to brown, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain potatoes. Add cabbage mixture to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or large fork to reach desired texture. Serve warm.
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service