This traditional side dish is versatile, flavorful, and delicious. There are different ways to prepare refried beans. This recipe uses dry beans, oil, garlic, onions, and cumin.
- 1 1/2 cups dry pinto beans (sorted and rinsed)
- 2 garlic (cloves, minced)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Cook beans and reserve some of the cooking liquid before draining.
- Sauté onions and garlic in oil until onions become clear. Add a little water if vegetables stick.
- Mash half of the beans, and add to onion and garlic. Continue to sauté for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Allow some of the mashed beans to brown.
- Add cumin. Add remaining beans and continue cooking until they are warmed through.
- Water or liquid from beans may be added to keep the beans soft and mushy.