A fun and unique twist on pizza using rice as the crust. Enjoy this main dish with all of your favorite toppings!
- 2 cups rice (cooked)
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, part skim
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups tomato purée, low-sodium
- Wash hands with soap and water.
- Heat oven to 350 °F. Grease a 12-inch pizza pan or baking sheet.
- Cook rice following directions on the package; set aside.
- Grate cheese; set aside.
- Crack egg and place in mixing bowl, stirring to blend. Measure and add 2 cups cooked rice, 1 cup grated cheese, and salt. Mix well to combine ingredients.
- Spread rice mixture in prepared pan, pressing firmly and making outer edge slightly raised.
- Spread tomato purée evenly over rice mixture.
- Place pan in oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven sprinkle pizza with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
- Remove pizza from oven. Cut into 12 slices.
- Try different kinds of rice.
- Try different kinds of cheese.
- Use sliced or chopped green peppers, onions, mushrooms, or other vegetables as toppings.
Learn more about:
Cooking Up Fun - A Pyramid of Snacks
Cornell University Cooperative Extension
Division of Nutritional Sciences