Simple Stuffed Peppers
These simple stuffed peppers are fun and flavorful. Use yellow, red, green, and orange peppers for a colorful dish.
- 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 can black beans, unsalted (15 ounces)
- 4 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (reduced fat)
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 cup salsa
- salt (to taste, optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Cook brown rice according to package directions.
3. Wash the peppers under running water.
4. Cut the tops off the peppers and spoon out the seeds.
5. Drain and rinse the black beans.
6. Combine the beans, rice, salsa and salt (optional).
7. Spoon about 3 Tablespoons of the mixture into the bottom of each pepper.
8. Place a slice of tomato on top of the mixture and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of cheese.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 to fill the pepper completely but do not top with cheese.
10. Bake peppers for 30 minutes, top each with 2 Tablespoons of cheese and continue baking for 15 minutes more.
ONIE Project - Oklahoma Nutrition Information and Education. Simple Healthy Recipes.