Sweet Potato Pie
A delicious holiday favorite! You can use canned sweet potato if you don't have time to roast and mash your own!
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice (ground)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine (melted)
- pinch salt
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (mashed)
- 1 pie crust (9 inch, unbaked)
1. Beat egg whites well.
2. Add sugar, orange juice, orange rind, spices, margarine and salt.
3. Add mashed sweet potatoes and mix thoroughly.
4. Pour into pie shell and bake in preheated 350° oven for 1 hour or until firm.
Opening the Door to Good Health Cookbook: Healthy Recipes from Around the World
Ohio Commission on Minority Health